How does it work? How can I learn it? Are there different types?
In a nutshell, numerology is a powerful tool that you can use to discover your talents, strengths, challenges, and life purpose.
You can also uncover how certain people will “mesh” together… yep, that includes love compatibility!
More importantly, you can use it to learn more about yourself and improve your life. Score!
Disclosure: Some links in this post may be affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may earn a commission. But we only recommend products and services we've used and love.
What is Numerology?
So, what is numerology?
Numerology is the study of numbers and is made up of four unique areas. Here is what they are and what they can tell you:
- Life Path Number – Your overall vibe and what your soul is here to experience (life purpose). Also reveals possible spiritual or emotional challenges.
- Soul Urge Number – Uncovers your deep, spiritual soul level truths.
- Karmic/Destiny Number – Tells your hopes, secret fears, dreams, and reveals how others see you.
- Expression Number – Reveals your talents and potential.
It’s been around for centuries, so there must be something to it, right?
Even better? It’s easy to learn because it only uses are the numbers 1 through 9, 11, and 22.
In numerology, each letter of the alphabet corresponds to a number from 1 – 9. We also use 11 and 22, which are master numbers (we’ll cover those later).
By “decoding” the letters of your legal name with numbers from a numerology chart (below), you can get accurate insight about your:
- personality traits
- life purpose
- potential spiritual and emotional limitations (read the numerology challenges here)
- what your soul is here to experience
- hidden talents
- values and ethics (super important in compatibility!)
- hidden fears
- how others see you
- hopes and dreams
You can then use this knowledge to empower your love life, career, and even your spiritual life and growth. (Yes, numerology really works!)
PLUS, once you understand what numerology is, you can use it to create stronger bonds and relationships.
For example, let’s say your oldest child was born on August 7, 2000, and your youngest child was born on April 17, 2005.
Once you’ve learned some basics and how it works, you can use numbers to decode your kids’ birth dates, names and… voila!
You will better understand why your kids keep arguing… and hopefully discover some ways to help them stop based upon the cosmos!
Now that you understand what it is, let’s get in to the nitty-gritty of how numerology works.
How Numerology Works
That might sound tricky, but it’s actually super easy!
To understand this idea, think of numbers as musical notes:
Did you ever see the movie Star Wars? Remember the theme music? It’s one of the most recognizable musical scores of any movie, ever!
We could say that the energy (or vibration) of the Star Wars music is serious and intense.
In numerology, the vibration of the numbers is like a musical score. Except instead of music, the number produces a vibration or energy.
Depending upon the position of the number, it may produce “music” that is cyclic (temporary), or that vibrates through your entire life.
Now that you are familiar with the basics, let’s find your Soul Urge number! :)
Calculate Your Soul Urge Number
Your soul urge number is magical!
It introduces you to who you are on a very deep, spiritual level, and reveals the things you value in your soul.
For example, my Soul Urge number taught me that I value mastery.
My husband used to tease me because I was always going from one thing to another — one month I was learning about fermented foods… the next month I’d be mastering extreme couponing!
I discovered is that it’s not accomplishing the goal that I value. Instead, it’s the process of mastering the tasks that makes me happy.
Armed with this knowledge, life has become much less stressful.
Now, instead of criticizing myself for not sticking to one thing, I go with the flow of learning… and embrace my soul urge desires!
How to Find Your Soul Urge Number
- Start by writing out your full birth name (no nicknames or married names)
- Now, use the chart below to assign a number to the vowels of your name (Y does not count as a vowel)
- For example: Jane Mary Smith would be, J A(1) N E(5) M A(1) R Y S M I (9) T H
- Add up the numbers. 1 + 5 + 1 + 9 = 16
- If your number is a single digit or an 11 or 22, STOP and read about the Master number 11 or Master number 22.
- If your number is not a single digit, an 11, or a 22, keep adding the numbers together until you get a single digit like this: 1 + 6 = 7
- Jane Mary Smith’s soul urge number is 7. Easy peasy! :)
- Got your Soul Urge number? Great! Click on your number below to read what it means:
Get Your Life Path Number
Your Soul Urge number is just one of the pieces of your numerology profile.
Arguably, the most important part of your forecast is your Life Path number. Get your free Life Path number by clicking the pink box below:
Learn how to calculate your own numerology forecast with the articles below. It’s SO much fun!
Tip: We recommend that you download the numerology chart for reference before getting started.
- How Numerology Works — Don’t miss this flagship post loaded with insight!
- Name Numerology — What does your name say about you? (You may be surprised to find out!)
- How to Create Your Numerology Forecast
- The Complete Book of Numerology is also fabulous and put out by the trusted publisher, Hay House.
- The Numerology Guidebook: Uncover Your Destiny and the Blueprint of Your Life. This is a 5-star book for sure, also by the trusty Hay House, Inc.
- The Power of Birthday, Stars and Numbers: The Complete Personology Reference Guide. Another 5-star favorite which weaves in numerology and astrology!
Different Types of Numerology
Just like there are different types of cookies, there are different types of numerology. They are:
Kabbalah Numerology (also known as Hebrew Numerology)
Though numerology is not a religion (it’s metaphysical… based on energy, numeric values, and astrology), some believe that Moses founded it when God gave him the Kabbalah.
The Kabbalah embraces the idea that true knowledge and wisdom comes through your Higher Self (a.k.a. soul) and mind, not the Ego (physical body).
- 22 vibrations (energies) ranging from 1 to 400
- Originally developed from the Greek alphabet
- The New Kabbalah developed to be used with the modern Roman alphabet
- Uses some Pythagorean methods (see below)
Chaldean numerology originated from ancient Babylon.
It uses some of the Kabbalah name interpretations, and also blends in some aspects of astrology.
- Nine is a holy number
- Compound numbers are always used
- Single numbers represent the external aspects of a person
- Double digits represent the inner aspects of a person
The Greek metaphysician and mathematician, Pythagoras, is the “Father” of numerology. That’s because the majority he developed the Pythagorean system.
So, who was Pythagoras?
Well, you might remember him from geometry class. He was the one that said something about the hypotenuse of a right triangle being equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides of the triangle.
Lucky for us, he was also interested in spiritual development!
What Pythagoras did was swirl his love of math together with his love of metaphysics. The result: Pythagorean numerology. Brilliant!
- Like the Chaldean system, it analyzes names and birth dates… and the interaction between the two
- Uses the numbers one through nine and “Master” numbers 11 and 22
Numerology is the metaphysical study of numbers.
This system uses the numbers 1 – 9, and Master numbers 11 and 22. Each of these numbers hold a specific energy.
By using a numerology chart, you can “decode” numbers to reveal your life purpose and more. Best yet? Anyone can learn how to use it with a chart and some simple instructions!
I hope this post has helped you answer the question what is numerology. To learn more, visit our affiliate and get a FREE video numerology report!