In a nutshell, numerology is super powerful system that you can use to discover the talents, strengths, weaknesses, life purpose, and personalities of yourself and all the people in your life, including how certain people will “mesh” together (yep, that includes love compatibility!)
More importantly, you can use it to learn more about yourself and improve your life. Score!
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means, if you take actions on our recommendations, we may earn a commission. But we only recommend resources we've personally used and feel good in our hearts. Thank you for your support.
What is Numerology?
Numerology is the study of numbers and is broken up into four unique areas. Here is what they are and what they can tell you:
- Life Path Number – Your overall vibe, what your soul is here to experience (life purpose), possible spiritual or emotional challenges.
- Soul Urge Number – Uncovers your deep, spiritual soul level truths.
- Karmic Number – Tells your hopes, secret fears, dreams, and reveals how others see you.
- Expression Number – Reveals your talents and potential.
(Don’t worry, there are links further down in this post in the “Free Resources” section that you can click to learn how to easily calculate all of these numbers.)
Numerology has ancient origins stemming from China, India, Greece, Egypt, and even Chaldea! It’s been around for centuries, so there must be something to it, right?
Even better? It’s easy to learn because it only uses are the numbers 1 through 9, 11, and 22.
In numerology, each letter of the alphabet corresponds to a number from 1 – 9 (11 and 22 are master numbers, and we’ll cover those later).
By “decoding” the letters of your (or anyone else’s) legal name with the corresponding numbers (we’ll do this with the chart below in a minute), you can get accurate insight about:
- personality traits
- life purpose
- potential spiritual and emotional limitations
- what your soul is here to experience
- hidden talents
- values and ethics (super important in compatibility!)
- hidden fears
- how others see you
- hopes and dreams
You can then use this knowledge to empower every area of your life, including your love life, career, and even your spiritual life and growth. (Yes, it really works!)
PLUS, once you understand what numerology is, you can use it to create stronger bonds and relationships (hello… teenager!)
For example, let’s say your oldest child was born on August 7, 2000, and your youngest child was born on April 17, 2005. Once you’ve learned some basics and how it works, you can use numbers to decode your kids’ birth dates and names and… voila! You will better understand why your kids keep arguing (and hopefully discover some ways you can help them stop) based upon the cosmos!
Now that you understand what it is, let’s get in to the nitty-gritty of how numerology works.
How Numerology Works
The way numerology works is actually really simple. It all has to do with “vibrations” or energies.
Here’s the scoop:
The theory in numerology is that numbers hold certain energetic vibrations.
To understand this idea, let’s think of numbers as musical notes:
Did you ever see the movie Star Wars? Remember the theme music? It’s one of the most recognizable musical scores of any movie, ever!
We could easily say that the energy (or vibration) of the Star Wars music is serious and intense.
In numerology, the vibration of the numbers is similar to a musical score. Except instead of music, the number and it’s position produce a vibration or energy.
Depending upon the position of the number, it may produce “music” that is cyclic (temporary), or that vibrates through your entire life.
So, are you ready to do some numerology now? Let’s find your soul urge number. :)
Calculate Your Soul Urge Number
Your soul urge number is magical! It introduces you to who you are on a very deep, spiritual level, and reveals the things you value in your soul.
For example, I learned through numerology that I highly value mastery. My husband used to tease me because I was always going from one thing to another — one month I might be engrossed in learning about fermented foods, and the following month I’m mastering extreme couponing!
I discovered is that it’s not accomplishing the goal that I value, but the process of mastering tasks that makes me happy.
Armed with this knowledge, life has become much less stressful. Now, instead of criticizing myself for not sticking to one thing, I go with the flow of learning things and embrace my soul urge desires!
How to Find Your Soul Urge Number
- Start by writing out your full birth name (no nicknames or married names)
- Now, use the chart below to assign a number to the vowels of your name (Y does not count as a vowel).
- For example: Jane Mary Smith would be, J A(1) N E(5) M A(1) R Y S M I (9) T H
- Add up the numbers. 1 + 5 + 1 + 9 = 16.
- If your number is a single digit or an 11 or 22, STOP.
- If your number is not a single digit, an 11, or a 22, keep adding the numbers together until you get a single digit like this: 1 + 6 = 7.
- Jane Mary Smith’s soul urge number is 7. Easy peasy! :)
- Once you’ve got your soul urge number, scroll down past the numerology chart read the post that lists a summary of all the numerology meanings in one place. Or, read the in-depth posts about each individual number at the end of this post.
Of course, this site is chock-full of great articles that you can use to start learning numerology for free. Yay!
I recommend that you download the chart above (if you haven’t already), then, use the following articles to learn how to calculate the different parts of your numerology forecast:
- Life Path Number
- Soul Urge Number
- Expression Number
- Karmic Number (we’re writing up this post as you read :))
- The Complete Book of Numerology is also fabulous and put out by the trusted publisher, Hay House.
- The Numerology Guidebook: Uncover Your Destiny and the Blueprint of Your Life. This is a 5-star book for sure, also by the trusty Hay House, Inc.
- The Power of Birthday, Stars and Numbers: The Complete Personology Reference Guide. Another 5-star favorite which weaves in numerology and astrology!
- Amazing, accurate, and super detailed numerology reports. Get started with a FREE Life Path Number reading! (highly recommended!)
Different Types of Numerology
Just like there are different types of cookies, there are different types of numerology, such as:
Kabbalah Numerology (also known as Hebrew Numerology)
Though not a religion (it’s metaphysical, based on energy, numeric values, and even astrology), it is believed that Moses founded numerology, because he was gifted the Kabbalah by God.
The Kabbalah is based on the idea that true knowledge and wisdom comes through your Higher Self (a.k.a. soul) and mind, not the Ego (physical body).
- 22 vibrations (energies) ranging from 1 to 400
- Originally developed from the Greek alphabet
- The New Kabbalah developed to be used with the modern Roman alphabet
- Uses some Pythagorean methods (see below)
- Nine is considered to be a holy number
- Compound numbers are always used
- Single numbers represent the external aspects of a person
- Double digits represent the inner aspects of a person
The Greek metaphysician and mathematician, Pythagoras, is said to be the “Father” of numerology, and the one who developed the Pythagorean system.
You might remember him from geometry class– he was the one that said something about the hypotenuse of a right triangle being equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides of the triangle.
Lucky for us, he was also interested in spiritual development and he swirled in his love of math with his love of metaphysics. The result: Pythagorean numerology.
- Similar to Chaldean numerology, as both types analyze name and birth date, and the interaction between the two
- Uses the numbers one through nine and “master” numbers 11 and 22
I hope this has helped answer the question, what is numerology. For more numerology awesomeness, visit our affiliate and get a FREE video numerology report!
In-Depth Numerology Meanings
To learn detailed info on any number (including your soul urge number if you calculated it above), simply use the following links. Easy peasy!