What is a medium? That’s a great question and one that gets asked a lot. Between intuitives, psychics, clairvoyants, and mediums, it’s easy to see why there’s confusion.
Here you’ll learn what a medium is. Plus, we’ll answer those burning FAQs that you’ve always wanted to ask about!
Disclosure: Some links in this post may be affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may earn a commission. But we only recommend products and services we've used and love.
What is a Medium?
Here’s the simple, straightforward answer: A medium is someone who can communicate with those in spirit.
In other words, they can communicate with the dead. Theresa Caputo and Monica Ten-Kate, the Penn State Medium, are both examples of mediums.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are psychics and mediums the same thing?
No. But this is a pretty common question, and lots of folks get confused here. Somewhere along the way, the line has blurred between what is a psychic and what is a medium.
Here’s a quick clarification:
- Psychics use their extrasensory perceptions to ‘tune in to’ your energy. This is similar to the way you tune in to a radio station until you get a clear signal. By reading your energy (aura), psychics can tell your personality traits, your life purpose, and more!
- Mediums are psychics that can also communicate with those in spirit.
- Clairvoyants have the gift of psychic sight, and see images and visions, etc. (Learn more about clairvoyance here.)
What’s it like to talk to the dead?
Probably much different than you think. Spirit communication is subtle and takes place mentally, within the medium’s mind. This is known as mental mediumship (which is different than physical mediumship).
So, let’s pretend you ask a medium to connect with your Auntie Jane. The spirit of Auntie Jane is not sitting on the couch next to the medium. Instead, the communication takes place telepathically. Think: mental telepathy.
Can I communicate with my loved ones who have passed away?
Yes! I talk to my grandparents in spirit all the time. You can either talk to them in your mind or out loud, whatever you are comfortable with.
The most important thing to remember is that your loved ones in heaven can hear you. Plus, they will send you signs to let you know they are around.
Tip: you may also feel the presence of your loved one around. (more articles about this at the bottom of this post)
Nope, not even close. In the Sixth Sense movie, the spirits were scary and gory. But real spirit communication is nothing like that. In fact, spirits who communicate with mediums are at peace and want to connect with their loved ones.
Isn’t it scary and dangerous to communicate with the dead?
- For professional spiritual mediums who know what they are doing, no, not at all. The main thing to remember is that it’s not like what you see in the movies. Also remember that like attracts like. So, because they set the intention that their work is for the highest good, they do not attract negativity.
- For the average person who wants to communicate with a loved one in heaven, it’s also safe. But don’t engage in spirit communication if you have lots of negative beliefs… or are using it as a party trick, like a Ouija board.
Can anybody be a medium?
We all have intuitive abilities, but I believe that spiritual mediums receive a calling. (This is not to be confused with intuition which is the birthright of everyone on the planet.)
As a spirit-medium myself, I know that I was called to do this work. And I know that other mediums feel the same way. In other words, mediumship is not something you wake up one day and decide to do.
Think about it…if you ask a kid, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” how many of them say “I want to talk to dead people.”
- Are you called to learn more about mediumship? You might already have these gifts! Learn 15 Signs That You’re a Medium, Not a Crazy Person
If I see a medium for a reading, can I talk to a dead celebrity?
Do you know any celebrities that died? If you didn’t know Michael Jackson while he was on the earth plane, he ain’t comin’ to talk to you.
Can mediums see their loved ones in spirit whenever they want?
Like you, mediums can communicate with their loved ones in heaven any time they want. To become more open to spirit communication yourself, it starts with being open to the signs from heaven.
For example, practicing meditation is one way that you can become a clear channel for spirit. (Here’s a helpful Beginner’s Guide to Meditation.)
Get to know the signs from heaven:
- Text Messages from Heaven – My clients share their stories of texts from heaven
- What Every Spirit Wants You to Know – 3 things those in heaven want you to know
“I could never be a medium. Don’t dead people bother you all day?”
I get asked this a lot. The answer is no.
When you go to the bathroom, you shut the door right? Spiritual mediumship works the same way…
We “shut the door” when we want privacy (i.e., when we aren’t doing readings and don’t want spirits to communicate with us). We aren’t “open” all the time. For most new mediums, it just takes a little practice to learn to control their psychic gifts, and turn them on and off.
Now, if someone asks you what is a medium, you’ll know the answer!