What is a medium? That’s a great question and one that gets asked a lot. Between intuitives, psychics, and mediums, it’s easy to see why there’s some confusion. Here you’ll learn what a medium is, along with the answers to frequently asked questions.
What is a Medium?
Here’s the simple, straightforward answer:
A medium is someone who can communicate with those in Spirit.
In other words, they can communicate with the dead. Theresa Caputo and Monica Ten-Kate, the Penn State Medium, are both examples of mediums.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are psychics and mediums the same thing?
No. But this is a pretty common question, and lots of folks get confused here. Somewhere along the way, the line has blurred between what is a psychic and what is a medium.
Here’s a quick clarification:
- Psychics use their extrasensory perceptions to ‘tune into’ your energy (think of the way you tune into a radio station). They can tell you about your personality, the path you are on, etc. They read your energy.
- Mediums communicate with those in spirit, and they are also psychic. That’s about as clear as mud, right?
Read: FAQs about Clairvoyance
Let’s try it this way…if a psychic is a cheeseburger, then a medium is a cheeseburger with all the extra toppings. And that’s probably the weirdest analogy you’ll ever hear!
What’s it like to talk to the dead?
Probably much different than what you might think. Spirit communication is very subtle and typically takes place mentally, within the medium’s mind – this is known as mental mediumship.
Let’s pretend you ask a medium to connect with your Auntie Jane.
The spirit of Auntie Jane is not sitting on the couch next to the medium. The communication takes place telepathically – think mental telepathy.
Can I communicate with my loved ones who have passed away?
Yes! I talk to my grandparents in spirit all the time. You can either talk to them in your own head or out loud – whatever you are comfortable with.
They can hear you, and will send you signs to let you know they are around. Many people also express feeling the presence of their loved one – more articles on this at the bottom of the page.
Ha! Not even close. In the Sixth Sense movie, the spirits were very gory.
Reality is nothing like that. Spirit who communicate with mediums are at peace and want to connect with their loved ones.
Isn’t it scary and dangerous to communicate with the dead?
- For professional spiritual mediums who know what they are doing, no, not at all. The main thing to remember is that it’s not like what you see in the movies. Also remember that like attracts like. Because spiritual mediums set the intention that our services are for the highest and best good of our clients, we are not attracting negativity.
- For the average person who wants to communicate with a loved one in heaven, no, it’s perfectly safe. The only time I would caution you not to engage in spirit communication is when you have lots of negative beliefs and use it as a parlor trick.
Can anybody be a medium?
We all have intuitive abilities to some degree. But, I believe that spiritual mediums have received a “calling.” This is not to be confused with intuition which is the birthright of everyone on the planet.
I feel that mediums are called to do the work. It’s not something that you wake up one day and decide to do.
Think about it…if you ask kids, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” how many of them say “I want to talk to the dead!” Can you imagine?
If I see a medium for a reading, can I talk to a dead celebrity?
Do you know any celebrities that died? If you didn’t know Michael Jackson while he was on the earth plane, he ain’t comin’ to talk to you.
Can mediums see their loved ones in spirit whenever they want?
Mediums can, just like you, communicate with their loved ones in heaven any time they want. For the average person, it’s a matter of training yourself to be open and receptive to the signs from heaven. Meditation is one way that you can start becoming a clear channel for spirit.
Get to know the signs from heaven:
- Text Messages from Heaven – My clients share their phenomenal stories of texts from heaven.
- What Every Spirit Wants You to Know – Three things those in heaven want you to know.
- 5 Sure Signs Your Loved One in Heaven is Around – 5 unmistakable signs from above.
“I could never be a medium. Don’t dead people bother you all day?”
I get asked this a lot. The answer is no.
When you go to the bathroom, you shut the door right? (At least I hope so!)
It’s the same with mediums. We shut the door when we want our privacy (i.e. when we aren’t doing readings and don’t want spirits to communicate with us). We aren’t “on” all the time.
It takes some practice, but in time, we learn how to turn our abilities off and on.
Now, if someone asks you what is a medium, you’ll know the answer!