What happens after we die? One of the greatest fears we as humans have is the fear of death.
The main reason for this is because we aren’t sure what happens after we pass away. In other words, it’s the fear of the unknown.
Disclosure: Some links in this post may be affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may earn a commission. But we only recommend products and services we've used and love.
Fear of the unknown is something we fight against daily, whether we recognize it or not.
If you are working through grief, we can ease your mind. That’s because what happens after we die is very different than what you imagine or fear.
Your Soul Never Dies
Before we incarnate (and while our soul is still in energy form), we make certain choices about our life.
We choose things like:
- Our birth parents
- Some of the life experiences we’d like to have
- What other souls we will connect with on earth
We don’t necessarily decide how or when we will die, unless that’s part of the karma we are working through. Sometimes though, we can choose the time when our body will go back to the Other Side.
This in itself can be a great comfort to us when we contemplate our own or a loved one’s death.
Another reassuring fact is that our earthly body is simply the shell our soul uses to experience life.
In other words:
Our true essence is our soul. When we die, only the shell dies. Our Essence never dies.
If you are grieving a deceased loved one, know that they are still with you, even though you can’t see them as they once were.
Your loved ones in heaven:
- Celebrate with you when you get married, have a child, or get a promotion
- Comfort you when you deal with setbacks or tragedies
- Visit you through dreams and “signs”
- Are always there to support you
Even better is the fact that you can learn to communicate with your loved ones in spirit! It’s as simple as developing your intuition and getting used to sensing energy.
And of course, you can also talk to a medium to connect with your loved one in heaven. When my aunt passed away, I could feel her around me a LOT, but I also spoke with a medium at AskNow. She was able to help me understand how my aunt passed away (something we didn’t know), which was so comforting! When you call, just ask to be connected with a medium.
What Happens After we Die?
When we die, our soul is released from its body and becomes pure energy once again.
There is no need to fear getting lost or getting “stuck.” A loving being, like a spirit guide and loved one in spirit, will be there to welcome you back Home.
People who have had near death experiences report a feeling of pure love and peace beyond words!
Rest assured that you will be guided (with love) to where you need to go, and will feel only love, joy, and acceptance.
But what about those spirits who stick around?
Sometimes souls do choose to “hang around” the earth plane for a while. This could be for hours or a few days. Also, it’s more common when someone dies suddenly or leaves behind a family with young kids.
But, again, there is nothing to fear. This is a choice our soul makes, and in most cases, we are soon ready to fully cross over.
Plus, time is different when we are in spirit form than when we are in a body. What seems like months for us may be a blip of time when we are in spirit!
What Happens After we Die? Life Review
After we die, we go through a “life review.” So what’s a life review?
Well, imagine being surrounded by a divine support team and “watching” your life on the big screen… complete with surround sound and in HD (though there may not be popcorn!)
During this process, we shed the negativity we had about upsetting life events or lessons. And, we let go of the human aspects we held on to during life. Sounds glorious, right?
Through this healing process, we regain our sense of the big picture. We also reconcile the lessons we learned and celebrate our spiritual development!
- Also read: Will We Meet Our Loved Ones After Death?
After the Life Review
The most beautiful part of what happens after we die takes place after the life review. It is at this point that we are ready to enjoy being Home.
We get to catch up with deceased loved ones, learn from our spirit guides and visit with our ancestors. It’s a family reunion of sorts with only joy, peace and laughter.
After that, we can decide if we want to:
- Start a new life
- Enjoy more time hanging out
- Make plans for our next life
Most souls decide to stay Home for a while and connect with their Earthly loved ones energetically via messages and signs. But others feel it’s important to their spiritual development to move right on to another life.
And a third group, after much spiritual growth, choose not to live another earthly life. Instead, they become spirit guides, teachers, or ambassadors for newly-arriving souls!
Another option is to take time off between lives to learn and study. Souls can study things that are beneficial to living in the physical realm, or develop techniques that will help others in their next lifetime!
Takeaways and Resources
The important thing to understand is that WE are in charge. We decide what to do next, and get to make those decisions while surrounded by pure love and peace in a supportive environment.
As you can see, what happens after we die is a beautiful process of going Home… as we are surrounded by pure love and divine support!
- If you’d like to learn how to help a loved one cross over, please read this article
Talk to a spiritual medium
If you’d like, you can talk to a medium by phone now. Just ask to be connected to a medium when you call. :)
Want to do more research before getting a mediumship reading? We’ve got you covered!
- Find answers to common questions about mediumship
- Learn how mediums can help you
- Learn where to get the best psychic readings by phone
Helpful afterlife books
- The Afterlife of Billy Fingers: How My Bad Boy Brother Proved to Me There’s Life After Death. This best-seller will change your view of the afterlife forever… and make you a believer!
- In the Presence of Proof (Deborah Hanlon). A medium’s point of view on the afterlife and how she has helped others cope with loss.
- Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near Death Experiences (Jeffery Long MD and Paul Perry). This book takes near death experiences from around the world and looks at them from a doctors point of view. Some of these experiences cannot be explained medically, and may be proof of what we experience when we die.
- GriefShare.org — Locates grief support in your area to help with healing