What does destiny mean? Fate, kismet, serendipity, good (or bad) fortune, lot in life, luck?
Those are just a handful of words that we associate with destiny, a word that is simple, yet rich with possibilities.
Disclosure: Some links in this post may be affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may earn a commission. But we only recommend products and services we've used and love.
Destiny is a predetermined sets of events that are inevitable in your life. That’s the textbook version.
We’ve all heard people say things like, “This is my destiny” or “I know I’m destined for greatness.”
And we may have felt that something is fate, but how do we know? What does destiny mean? What is its significance in our lives?
And are our futures already determined? So many questions!
What Does Destiny Mean?
Destiny means choices.
It’s everything we can conceive as being part of who we are, who we are meant to be, and what we’re meant to do.
Now, that doesn’t mean that we are puppets on a string with no-free will or personal choices to make.
Rather, destiny is a concept that helps us look to the future and gives us hope. It also helps us find and nurture ourselves better.
For lack of a better, non-clichéd analogy, destiny is a series of roads, paths, forks in the road, and roundabouts.
You are heading somewhere and each “stop” or “turn” is determined by you and the forces around you.
And, it’s all subject to change. It is not a script that outlines what you should or will do. To understand it better, read these bite-sized bits:
Free will, the characteristic that makes us human, determines how we find our destiny.
Sure, it may be our fate to “reach great heights,” but it is our choices that determine how we reach them. It’s all about the choices we make.
2. Can I have more than one destiny?
Yes and no. You see, there is overall destiny and your personal destiny. And both of these blend together.
Don’t worry, it’s easy to understand. Look at this example:
Your personal destiny could be to create a computer company. And, the impact of how your company changes the world of cell phones and computers is the overall destiny.
In other words, it’s all connected.
3. What Does Destiny Mean… Is it predetermined?
Again, another yes-and-no answer. In short, our fates are not predetermined.
Like the Pirate Code, destiny is more like guidelines tailor-made for each of us. We each have certain strengths and opportunities that guide us towards our fate.
4. Can a Psychic Predict My Destiny?
Besides wondering “What does destiny mean,” lots of people ask, “Can I psychic tell me my fate?”
The answer is yes… and no. I know, destiny has a lot of plot twists, doesn’t it?!
For example, let’s say you get a psychic reading. The psychic tells you that a new relationship — one that could be passionate — is in the works for you.
This prediction may or may not come to pass, based on choices you make.
If you deviate from your current path, that forecast will SURELY change.
But if you decide to put romance on hold, the relationship won’t happen. On the flip side, you may decide to plunge into a romantic relationship!
It all depends on what you do with your free will. (Which is pretty great, right?)
Intuitive readers, like the trusted psychics at Oranum, give you insight based on your current path. But you can totally decide to flip the script with your free will. Destiny is like an advent calendar that has a surprise to unwrap every day of your life!
Trying to figure out what destiny is is a LOT to wrap your mind around. But don’t worry. Here are some tips that will make it all crystal clear!
5 Destiny Tips
- Accept the idea of fate. No matter what your faith or beliefs, you have a destiny. To do great things, to do small things, to make a bang, to make a ripple, and to live.
- Don’t get preoccupied with the idea of fate. Try not to focus so much on “what is my destiny” that you live too cautiously or too recklessly. Live the life you want to live.
- Live life to the fullest. Ah, so cliché, yet so true. Live your life to please yourself. Selfish is sometimes a good thing because you make those around you happy when you are happy.
- Weather the bumps and stumbles along the way. Try to learn and grow from your struggles. They can help create serendipity. If you get stuck, a psychic reading can be helpful, just don’t get addicted.
- Don’t freak out because you don’t know your “path” right away. Maybe one percent of the population knows what they are meant to do in life. It’s fine if you are not sure. Figuring it out is part of the human experience. But if you are feeling stuck, there are amazing psychics, like the ones at Oranum, that are ready to help.
So, what does destiny mean?
It means being human and experiencing life and all the things that go along with it. And it means experiencing a life in which we make choices and change paths.
We fall in and out of love, get bad haircuts, start new careers later in life, crash the family car and don’t tell our parents. We all have ups and downs in life, whether we know our destiny or not.
So, relax! Worrying about fulfilling your destiny will make the way cloudy and scary. Trust that you are being guided so that serendipity can happen for you.