There are many different types of psychic ability. Some, like clairvoyance, are super common. Yet others (like physical mediumship) are rare and downright fascinating!
Learn all about the various types of intuitive gifts here. Do you have any of the signs of these gifts?
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means, if you take actions on our recommendations, we may earn a commission. But we only recommend resources we've personally used and feel good in our hearts. Thank you for your support.
Types of Psychic Ability
John Edward, James Van Praagh, and Theresa Caputo are examples of famous mediums.
Things to Know About Mediumship
- Talking to those in spirit is a form of channeling. Contrary to popular belief, you can be aware and awake to channel… you don’t have to be in a trance. (Trace is a different and higher level of channeling.)
- Mediums communicate with spirits mentally. (Think: mental telepathy) So, if a medium connects with your grandmother in spirit, she is not seeing the spirit with her physical eyes. Instead, she sees the spirit in her mind’s eye — like she’s watching a movie inside her head.
Tip: mediumship is also known as spirit communication.
- If you want to know if your loved ones in heaven are around, these surefire signs from heaven will help.
People receive information with their physical senses… That is, they hear, see, feel, etc.
But psychic ability is the opposite. Psychics use extrasensory perceptions (ESP) to to pick up energetic “signals” about people or events. For example, they can sense what’s going on with you by reading your aura.
Best yet? You’ve probably had a psychic experience without even knowing!
Think about it. Have you ever:
- Had a feeling about something?
- Just known something?
- Known something was going to happen before it did?
- Got a feeling about a person you just met?
These are all psychic experiences!
How We Receive Psychic Information
There are lots of ways that we can communicate with each other, like text, email, telephone… just to name a few. And there are lots of psychic ways that we receive information, too.
These psychic abilities are known as:
- clairaudience — psychic hearing
- clairvoyance — psychic seeing (i.e., visions)
- claircognizance — a strong feeling of knowing
- clairsentience — intuitive feelings about things
You can get examples of all these psychic gifts, and learn how they work, on the list of psychic abilities page.
A medical intuitive uses their intuition to read your energy (aura) and find out what’s going on in your body.
Disclaimer: I would not recommend seeing a medical intuitive in place of a traditional doctor, as they can’t diagnose, treat, etc.
Sometimes, medical intuitives can tell you the root cause of your issue. For example, if an underlying emotional issue is causing you to feel physically sick. And sometimes, they may even discover a past life connection!
Is telepathy real? Yes! And it’s another one of the types of psychic ability.
So, what is mental telepathy?
Mental telepathy is the ability for people to communicate via the mind. Some people refer to it as thought transference.
So, how do you learn mental telepathy? Great question!
Practicing Mental Telepathy
Zener cards are a fun way to increase telepathy. You can Zener cards online, at new age shops… or you can even make your own.
So next time you ask, “are you thinking what I’m thinking?” or say, “you read my mind!”…it might be mental telepathy!
- Here’s how to use Zener cards to develop your psychic gifts
Rare and Odd Types of Psychic Ability
Trance channeling is one of the types of psychic ability. With this ability, a medium allows a spirit to speak through her.
When she’s in a deep trance, the medium has no awareness of what happened during the channeling session. She is merely a conduit for spirit to pass information through her. It’s a super cool, but rare phenomenon.
Is channeling risky?
Those who perform trance channeling have years of study under their belt. But, I wouldn’t recommend the average person try channeling.
My Experience with Trance Channeling
Years ago, I had the opportunity to witness a trance channeling session. Here’s how it worked:
First, the medium explained that she would be going into a trance and channeling her spirit guide. She told us that even her facial features may change.
Once in trance, the spirit guide speaking through her answered questions from the audience. She also gave meaningful messages about loving one another. It was super interesting to watch!
Physical mediumship is one of the most rare and odd types of psychic ability. I learned about it during my years of study to become a spiritual medium. Here’s how it works:
First, the medium goes into a very deep trance. At this point, she is able to manipulate the energetic matter in her body.
Then, the spirit can use this energy to create ectoplasm which will emerge from the medium’s mouth or nose. (Sounds like something from Ghost Busters, doesn’t it?) The ectoplasm can then be manipulated by the spirit into images, or a voice box (direct voice).
Is physical mediumship dangerous?
I’ve heard that the room needed to be swept clean before physical mediumship took place.
If it wasn’t, any debris could harm the medium when the ectoplasm was reabsorbed into her body. I don’t know if it’s true, but if it is, I’d say it’s risky!
Physical Mediumship Facts
- Popular during the 1800’s
- Physical mediums are said to have extra energetic matter in their body
- Takes years to develop the ability
- Flashes of light can also be present
- Table tipping is a form of physical mediumship
I think this is one of the most bizarre and interesting types of psychic ability. I would love to see a demonstration of this!