There are SO many signs from heaven! And so many awesome ways that our loved ones in the spirit world let us know that they are around. Have you had any of the signs on our list?
Disclosure: Some links in this post may be affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may earn a commission. But we only recommend products and services we've used and love.
Why Do Spirits Visit Us?
Before tackling the signs from heaven, let’s talk for a minute about why spirits visit us in the first place.
1. Because they can
First, because they can! Let’s face it, being free from an earthly body is freeing! Instead of being tied down to a body, spirits are balls of energy that can zoom around wherever they want!
So, if they can communicate with their loved ones, why wouldn’t they?
2. To let you know they are okay
Another reason we get signs from heaven is because our loved ones want to “check in.” In other words, they want to let us know they “arrived” on the other side.
And no wonder! With all the fear and doubt surrounding what happens after we die, they want to put your mind at ease that they are safe and happy.
3. To let you know they’re still around
They also want you to know that they are still around, but you don’t need to worry about them. They are still around, but in a different form.
We often explain death to a child by saying that their loved one is now in heaven and watching over them, and it’s true. Spirit comes around to celebrate our life events. They also come around to comfort us when we have a setback or tragedy.
Your deceased loved ones may also have messages for you. This is especially common when a person:
- dies suddenly and was unable to say goodbye
- would like to pass on information they wanted you to have
- dies of a suicide (Read the post, What Happens to the Soul After Suicide)
Spirits who have passed over are a chatty bunch, and signs from heaven are how they show love… and let us know they’re around.
So how do you know your loved one in heaven is around? Here’s what to look for:
Signs from Heaven
Starting today, be on the lookout for these signs from heaven. You might be in for a pleasant surprise! :)
1. Vivid dreaming
One of the most common signs from heaven (and most remarkable) are when spirits visit us in our dreams. Yes, you read that right — visit us. How is this possible?
You see, it’s MUCH easier for spirits to connect with us when our minds and bodies are at rest.
And when loved ones communicate with us in a dream, we feel a sense of peace. We may also notice a light around them. It’s an amazing experience to have!
Besides that, spirit may:
- “speak” to you (via telepathy)
- tell you they love you
- give you a message to pass along from a family member
If you think you have had a visitation in a dream, don’t let your logical self talk you out of believing!
Tip: Ask your loved one to visit you in a dream. Then, set the intention that you will remember the dream.
2. Moving objects
Now, this isn’t like a poltergeist or anything. But our loved ones in heaven will move objects to get your attention. Like maybe you’ve noticed that bottle of perfume isn’t exactly where you thought you left it. Or “someone” keeps moving the TV remote.
3. Nature sightings – plants and animals
Our loved ones in spirit often use nature to get our attention by putting something unusual in our path.
For example, maybe you’ve never seen a hummingbird in your yard. Then, one starts coming to visit daily.
Flowers and animals are often used this way by spirits:
- A plant or animal may come to you out of season… like seeing a robin in the winter when they should have migrated to warm weather.
- The plant or animal may also have associations with your loved one. For instance, your grandmother loved irises, and an iris starts growing in your flower bed… when you KNOW you never planted an iris bulb.
What a delightful, surprising sign from heaven that your grandmother is with you!
It’s comforting, and a lot of fun to look out for these signs.
4. Your pets sees a spirit
You may notice your pets acting strange after someone you love passes. This is because animals are intuitive, which means they can sense (and even see) the spirits who come to visit!
Signs that your pet sees a spirit:
- Staring at something intently that you can’t see
- “Talking” much more than usual
- Acting very excited for no reason
These are all common signs from heaven. :)
- Also read: Can Babies See Spirits? (spoiler alert: yes!)
5. Technical “snafus”
One of the most common signs from heaven is when electronic devices get glitchy.
And no wonder! These days, people are more tuned into their cell phones and iPads than to what is going on in the “real world.”
This may not be great when you’re out to dinner with your hubby, but is for our loved ones in heaven! In fact, it’s easy for them to manipulate our devices to let us know they’re around.
Some people have even received text messages from spirits! (Read more about texts from heaven.)
Take notice if your devices turn on or off at random, or act up in other ways… like your computer suddenly playing a video that you didn’t pull up.
Even if your loved one wasn’t a techie, they may use these devices to get your attention.
Remember: spirits are pure energy, so it’s easy for them to “play” with electrical energy to communicate with you!
6. Sensing their presence
If you were close to the person who died, or spent a lot of time with them, you will also be able to sense their presence.
You may have the sensation of:
- Someone sitting next to you (even though you can’t see anyone)
- Being watched
- Your loved one being in the room
Many people find the connection with spirits of their loved ones comforting. And remember: you can always invite them in and let them know you are open to receiving their communications. (Yes, they can hear you!)
Ask them to send you a sign when they are around. And don’t be surprised when they do! Pay attention to your environment and trust your instincts.
Afterlife Resources and Takeaways
- Hope for Bereaved – Support for all, with a memorial butterfly garden!
- The Compassionate Friends – Help for grieving parents
- National Organization for Victim Assistance – Special supporting homicide survivors
- Coalition to Support Grieving Students – Help for students
- The Afterlife of Billy Fingers: How My Bad-Boy Brother Proved to Me There’s Life After Death.This book gives a detailed look into what happens when we enter the afterlife. It is described by a man who comes back to visit his sister after his death.
- Signs from Pets in the Afterlife: Identifying Messages from Pets in Heaven.Signs from the afterlife can be hard to pick up on without lots of practice. But this book can work as a guide to noticing the messages your pets may be sending you from spirit.
- Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife. Near death experiences can leave a person with a new perspective on life, and what lies beyond. “Proof of Heaven”, is a doctors view on a near death experience and his thoughts on the afterlife.
- Afterlife: 3 Easy Ways to Connect and Communicate With Your Deceased Loved One.If you’ve lost someone close to you and are looking to reconnect with them, this is the perfect book. This guide will give you the basics of communicating to those who’ve passed on.
- Do Dead People Watch You Shower?From lighthearted fun to more serious concerns, Concetta Bertoldi answers the most frequent questions she receives about the afterlife.
- AskNow (talk to a psychic medium)
- To learn more about psychic mediums, read 3 Ways a Medium Can Help When You’ve Lost a Loved One
Articles About Heaven
- Signs of Life Radio Show – Explores the topic of the afterlife. You can also call in to ask questions.