How to recognize signs from a loved one in heaven. It’s the ultimate separation.
You have lost your loved one, and you miss them so much. Their smile, their presence, the funny way they did that thing.
If only they could send you a message, contact you in some way, to let you know that their spirit is still around.
But how could they? What are they going to do, email you from heaven?
They could be texting!
Though it might seem impossible, there are so many ways that our loved ones in heaven let us know they’re around. Today we’ll show you how to recognize the signs from your loved one in heaven.
Disclosure: Some links in this post may be affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may earn a commission. But we only recommend products and services we've used and love.
Signs from a Loved One in Heaven
Spirit Dreams (a.k.a. Surefire Signs from a Loved One in Heaven!)
Dreams are the most wonderful way to experience signs from a loved one in heaven. And I don’t mean a random dream, but a visionary one. This kind of dream is a real VISIT from the spirit realm.
In visit dreams, you experience a fuller experience, almost as if your loved one is back with you for a bit.
In this kind of dream, you may:
- smell your loved one’s scent
- hear their voice or laugh
- talk to them (telepathically)
- feel their touch
- receive a special message
And when you wake up, it might seem hard to realize that your loved one is not with you, because the dream was so real.
And rest assured, even if it only seems to be a dream… it’s not!
This visit is a gift — receive it with gratitude. What a special moment!
- Still unsure if it was just a dream? Here are the surefire signs that it was a visit from heaven.
Spiritual Energy Interruptions
Okay, you might be asking, energy-what?
In other words, since your loved one is now free of their body, they are pure energy. And their spirit (soul) lives on as energy.
So, one way of contacting you is to interrupt energy. Make sense?
You’re sitting in your living room, ready to queue up Netflix. There is no thunderstorm or anything else to cause an energy interruption. And then, you experience one of these signs:
- your lights flicker
- the TV turns off by itself
- you get a call from your own cell phone number (with no one on the other end)
- the volume on the TV or radio adjusts by itself
- you get a weird text with no logical explanation
At first it might seem a little scary!
But once you know that it’s your loved one’s way of saying “Hey, girl, don’t forget me!” you can relax, and even spout something sassy back, like “How can I forget you when you’re breaking my lights?! Love you…”
Scents from Loved Ones in Spirit
Mmmm — grandma’s cookies, grandpa’s pipe, the flowers in your uncle’s garden. There are certain smells that immediately make you think of your loved one. And it makes sense if someone is baking cookies for you to think of grandma.
- But what if you smell cookies baking and there is no possible way that anyone is baking any?
- Or what if you smell freshly-cut grass and masses of rose bushes in February?
Sniffing your loved one’s signature scent when it’s impossible for you to smell it “in the real world” is one of the signs from a loved one in heaven! So inhale, smile, and say hello…
Telekinesis and Coins from Spirit
Perhaps you are walking along, and you notice a coin on the sidewalk. You bend over to pick it up, and realize that it’s no ordinary quarter, but a peseta from Spain.
How could this be? You don’t live in Spain! And Spain is part of the European Union now, and uses the Euro, not the peseta, so this is an older coin.
Then, your eyes well with tears as you remember that you spent your junior year of college in Spain, and met your best friend there… Your best friend who passed away recently, whom you’ve been missing and wishing to hug again.
She wants you to know that her spirit is still around, supporting and caring for you!
Moving things or putting things in your way is a definite sign that your loved one is thinking of you.
The things they leave for you are usually small, like:
Remember, they are energy now, and it takes energy to move physical objects!
Tip: Spirits often leave little gifts where we will notice them. They will even send it again if you don’t pay enough attention the first time!
For example, if you had picked up the peseta, shrugged, and tossed it back on the ground, you probably would have seen it again somewhere else the next day!
Heavenly “coincidences” are things like:
- Songs. Hearing your loved one’s favorite song playing everywhere… like in the store, in the car, or in a restaurant… all in the same day!
- Signs. Noticing that the signature yellow hat your loved one used to wear suddenly seems to be worn by everyone!
Be sure not to brush off these signs from a loved one in heaven as coincidences. Welcome them as a warm hug from your loved one, a kind of in-joke between the two of you, something special for you to share.
Animals Sent from Loved Ones in Heaven
Animals can sense energy faster than we can. If you see your pet staring at something, and it seems like empty air to you, there could be more to it…
Or perhaps a blue butterfly keeps flitting outside your window while you are trying to do work. Almost like it was trying to get your attention.
The bottom line is: Take notice of the animal friends around you. They may be trying to pass along a message from your loved one in heaven!
Signs from a loved one in heaven – takeaways
Scents, tokens of remembrance, and dreams are some of the most common signs from your loved one in heaven. You may miss them, but they are still with you… and now you know the signs to look for.
And who knows which of these signs you might see or experience. So be on the lookout, and enjoy connecting with your loved one again.
- Next Read: What do People Do in Heaven? (spoiler alert: it’s fascinating!)
Foundations and Organizations
- Hope for Bereaved – General grief support (and very special memorial butterfly garden!)
- The Compassionate Friends – Helping those who have lost a child
- National Organization for Victim Assistance – Supporting homicide survivors
- Coalition to Support Grieving Students – Helps support grieving students
- The Afterlife of Billy Fingers: How My Bad-Boy Brother Proved to Me There’s Life After Death
- Signs from Pets in the Afterlife: Identifying Messages from Pets in Heaven
- Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife
- Afterlife: 3 Easy Ways to Connect and Communicate With Your Deceased Loved One
- AskNow (ask to speak to a psychic medium)