Psychic vampires are toxic people who get a kick out of draining our energy, attention, and life source. Pleasant, right?
On top of the obvious danger, there’s the fact that these vamps aren’t always easily recognizable. They are often masquerading as your “lovable but hot mess friend” or “well intentioned but overly dramatic coworker”.
You may find yourself sighing as their name pops up on your phone, but soon running off to help them anyways. Or, you may just always feel wrung out after an extended period of time with them.
So, how do we know for sure if we’re dealing with a real life psychic vampire? And how do we stop getting worn out by them?
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means, if you take actions on our recommendations, we may earn a commission. But we only recommend resources we've personally used and feel good in our hearts. Thank you for your support.
What Are Psychic Vampires?
Calling people vampires might seem harsh, but if you know even a little bit about traditional “vampires” like the ones on the TV show, The Vampire Diaries, you can see the similarities. Take the two main characters of the show, Damon and Stefan Salvatore. They are infamous for draining the life out of humans by sucking their blood.
Psychic vampires are infamous for draining the life out of humans, too, except instead of draining your blood, they drain your energy.
After you’ve been around one you might feel like you need a nap! You may dread when they call you or want to exit when they walk into the room.
Sure, they may be perky and seem like they are all sunshine and light – but they have a knack for causing drama to ensue.
Damon and Stefan thrive on blood, while psychic vampires thrive on drama. And as long as you keep giving them your energy and attention, they’ll keep on taking it, leaving you feeling like a wrung out dishrag.
Psychic Vampire Traits
- Unable to accept responsibility. Because their emotional maturity level is lower, energy vampires are typically unable (or unwilling) to accept responsibility for their poor actions. Nothing is ever their fault.
- Emotionally or energetically dependent. Psychic vampires have trouble managing their emotional needs. Because of this, they “feed” off of other people’s emotions to get their own needs filled.
- Master manipulators. Psychic vamps may may use different forms of manipulation to grab onto some of your tasty life force, like desperation, pleading for help, charm, victimization and even anger. They like to stir up trouble because they get a high from the result—people giving them the attention they seek.
- Trouble and attention seeking. Do you ever hear about an incident and just know a certain someone was involved? Well, these vamps are your certain someones. They always seem to be right in the middle of drama or trouble… getting just what they want — attention.
If you said, “oh, crap” after reading this list, you’re in the right place. It’s really tough to realize someone in your life is toxic! So, take comfort in this: psychic vampires don’t always realize what they’re doing.
The need for attention and energy stems from not being able to provide those things for themselves.
But, go easy on the symphony. It can tempt you to let them continue their behavior, but remember: You can’t help them (or anyone for that matter) if they’ve drained you empty.
As long as you keep giving a psychic vampire your energy and attention, they will keep on taking it.
Now you know what a psychic vampire is and how to recognize them. But, that does you a lot of no good unless you know how to respond to them. This is critical. If you let them continue with their pattern you could wind up being a psychic vampire magnet (ouch. It’s just as fun as it sounds).
How to Stop Attracting Psychic Vampires
1. Send them love and light—We receive back what we put out there, right? So let’s shoot out lots of love and light to all beings, knowing we’ll get that back. When our attention is focused on wholesome things, it’s easier to recognize unwholesome ones.
2. Set your intention—Unfortunately, there is no way for us to accidentally get out of a bad situation. We must be intentional in every part of our escape plan. Figure out when this person typically reaches out to you, and plan for it. Know what you’re going to say and why you’re doing what you’re doing. Failing to plan is planning to fail.
3. Set up boundaries—You may not have a choice of whether or not to interact with a psychic vampire (even our kids and other family members can be psychic vampires). But, you do have a choice in what they take from you. If this is someone permanently in your life, study their patterns. Knowing when, what, and why they do what they do will help you determine how to protect yo’ self!
Be very clear with yourself about what you will and will not accept. Then, write it down. Yes, I know it’s 2017. You didn’t misread me. WRITE. IT. DOWN. Then, put your guidelines somewhere where you will see it every day and be reminded that you are worth more than what they’re offering you (nothing).
Once I set boundaries of how far I was willing to help someone, I got a lot better at recognizing who was legit and who was out to get whatever they could, energetically, from me.
4. Be understanding— This is a fantastically fine line to walk. While you don’t to be energetically drained, you don’t want to be nasty, either. You’ve gotta watch your karma, right? You can have boundaries and still understand that these people are coming from a place of pain and need. So, protect yourself and your energy, but do it with gentleness and compassion in your heart.
5. Watch out for drama—Remember that drama thing we’ve been talking about? Well, it rears its ugly head when psychic vampires are involved. Notice who never takes responsibility for their actions. Watch out for those who throw out drama bombs and then enjoy feeding the flames. These are no doubt psychic vampires.
Tip: In all your intention and boundary setting, be careful not to step on a drama landmine. One of the best ways to avoid this is by keeping your intentions to yourself.
Don’t have a big confrontation with your vampire (I never thought I’d type that sentence — but there it is). Keep your motives to yourself as you set boundaries and pull away. Otherwise, they could use this whole thing as an excuse to get more (you guessed it) attention.
6. Surround yourself with light—If you can’t totally avoid them, arm yourself before you know you will be with an energy vampire. Spend a few minutes surrounding yourself with white light and asking your angels to protect you. Set your attention to be kind, but to have the wherewithal to stick to the boundaries you’ve set. Don’t forget to send them a dose of love and light while you are at it. This can stop them from considering you a source of energy they can prey on.
7. Energy vampires online —Watch for psychic vampires online too. Internet trolls and psychic vampires—makes you wonder how safe it is to go to your social media accounts, huh? Social media and online forums have become a feeding frenzy for psychic vampires. The best thing to do is just to avoid them.
Jumping into a conversation and giving them your attention is exactly what they want. It’s best to just unfriend them so that you aren’t exposed to their negativity. No need to make a spectacle of it. Just quietly unfriend them, ignore their emails or stop participating in the forum. They don’t have to be physically near you to “bleed” you dry of your energy. In this case, a good offense is the best defense!
Next Read: Tips for Avoiding Drama