Psychic dependency is a trend that is occurring more and more (especially with the convenience of phone readings).
So, if you’ve had more than three intuitive readings in the past 3 months, read on to learn if you’re addicted to psychics. And if you are, don’t worry. We’ll teach you how to break the cycle, and what to do instead.
Disclosure: Some links in this post may be affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may earn a commission. But we only recommend products and services we've used and love.
Wondering if your spouse is cheating on you? Or curious if you’re going to get that new job?
In today’s fast paced world, you can chat with a phone psychic and get immediate answers to your questions.
But with psychic dependency, that quick fix is short lived.
Often, you may want more reassurance, so… it’s on to the next reading. But this vicious cycle can leave you more confused than ever. (I know, it happened to me years ago!)
Before we go on, answer the following questions to find out if you’re addicted to psychics.
6 Signs of Psychic Dependency
- Had more than 3 readings in the last 3 months about the same issue.
- Contacted a psychic on a whim because you NEED to know the outcome of a situation right now.
- Paid for a reading with your credit card, then had another before paying off the first.
- Gone “psychic hopping.” This is when you contact a second, third, or fourth psychic because you didn’t like what you heard from the first. Or, you feel the need to check with many psychics to be sure what the others said is true.
- Ask the same questions to psychics without making any changes in your life.
- Made an “emergency” call or visit to a psychic.
Whew, that’s quite a list, right? But don’t get me wrong…
I believe that intuitive and tarot readings are super empowering. BUT, they can become unhealthy if you can’t ever make decisions without psychic advice.
If that sounds like you, don’t worry. Next, we are going to talk about why psychic addiction happens, and how to overcome it!
Why psychic dependency happens and how to overcome it
1. Feeling Overwhelmed
In life, there are so many huge decisions we have to make. Should I look for another job? Buy a house? Stay in this relationship? And sometimes, we don’t know where to turn, or what to do. It happens to all of us.
And truth be told, intuitive guidance can be helpful when you need to make a decision. Yet it becomes unhealthy when you can’t make decisions without contacting a psychic first.
In fact, this is when you start to feel stuck… stagnant and not moving forward.
2. Wanting to Know the Outcome
People also develop psychic dependency because “the worst thing is the not knowing.”
When we are in a crisis, we want someone to tell us that everything is going to be okay, right? I mean, it’s comforting to know that we are making the right decisions.
And of course, we also want to know what the outcome will be so that we can be emotionally prepared.
If you’re addicted to readings, stop and think for a moment about what’s on your heart. What’s keeping you up at night? Because… at the root of every psychic dependency is an issue that is unresolved.
Now that you know what psychic dependency is and why it happens, it’s time to empower yourself!
How to Stop Psychic Dependency
Here are some things you can start doing to take back control of your life:
- Resist the temptation to get an “emergency” reading by distracting yourself. Go for a walk, or spend time doing an activity you enjoy. Journaling is also super helpful! (Here journaling ideas for when you are anxious, stuck, or sad.)
- Meditate to help quiet your mind. This can be enough to resist the urge to get another reading. And it really helps when your practice meditating every day. Bonus: it also helps raise your energetic vibe and get in tune with your own intuition. (Not a fan of meditation? Here are some meditation alternatives.)
- Make a conscious decision that you will not have any readings for at least six months. Setting this intention is powerful!
- Talk to a friend, family member, or counselor.
- If possible, step back from the situation for a little while. Sometimes, the best thing to do when you don’t know what to do is nothing at all.
- And my personal favorite: write an imaginary letter. This works wonders for me! What you do is write a letter to your spirit guide telling them all about your problem. (You’re not going to mail the letter, it’s for your eyes only.) Be sure to explain the pros and cons of any decisions you are trying to make. Often, just having the whole situation written out in black and white is a real eye opener. And, you may even feel divinely guided during the process!
- Learn how to develop and use your own intuition. Here’s a great article about developing your intuition that will help.
I overcame my psychic dependency, and I know you can too!