How numerology works. Grab a pencil and some paper, and get ready to have some fun!
Disclosure: Some links in this post may be affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may earn a commission. But we only recommend products and services we've used and love.
How Numerology Works
So, what does this have to do with numerology? Actually, everything!
Here’s the thing:
When you know the vibration of a number, you can uncover the qualities associated with that number.
That’s because numbers, dates, and, names also hold a certain energy or vibration.
So, by using a numerology chart, we can assign a number value to each letter of a name.
And then, when we add those numbers, we unlock the name’s energy which gives us TONS of information about a person, such as their:
- character traits
- life purpose
- emotional challenges
- best-suited careers
- most compatible partners
- and more!
See, super cool!
How Was Numerology Created?
The major consensus is that Pythagoras founded, and is the “Father,” of numerology. (He was the Greek metaphysician and mathematician you heard about in geometry class.)
Pythagoras combined his love of metaphysics with his love of math to create numerology.
There are Four Major Areas in Numerology Readings
- Life Path Number. Your lifepath number represents the journey of you. In other words, it’s about who you are and your life purpose. Your Life Path number can also help you uncover your natural talents and gifts. Best yet? It’s easy to calculate your Life Path number. All you need to do is add the numbers of your date of birth together (MM/DD/YYYY).
- Soul Urge Number. As the name suggests, the soul urge number is spiritual. It also has to do with your ethics and values and who you are at the soul level. Ready to calculate your soul urge number? First, use the chart below to assign value to each VOWEL of your full birth name. Then, add them up and voila! (Step by step directions for calculating your Soul Urge number here.
- Karmic Number. Your karmic number (a.k.a. destiny number)is about your hopes, desires, and fears. It’s easy peasy to figure out your karmic number. Just use the numerology chart below to assign a number to each CONSONANT of your name. After that, add them up! (This is also known as your destiny number.)
- Expression Number. The expression number can reveal your talents, and also, the amazing things you have the potential to do. To get your expression number, give a value to each letter of the legal name you were born with. Then, add the numbers together. (You’ll find step-by-step directions for calculating and interpreting your Expression number here.)
Now that you know what a numerology number is, let’s do an example together and get YOUR number.
How do You Calculate Numerology Using Your Name?
Do I have to do math to learn how numerology works?
Well, just a little, but I promise it’s easy and WAY more fun than algebra or calculus!
Numerology uses a simple math formula… with the emphasis on simple.
(Simplicity is the reason why numerology is a GREAT place to start when first learning about metaphysics!)
Let’s go through an example of how numerology works. In this example, I’ll use my name to get my Expression number, which reveals life potential and challenges.
- First, grab a piece of paper and a pen and write down your full LEGAL name from your BIRTH CERTIFICATE. To clarify, don’t use your married name or nickname.
- Now, take a look at the chart below (or download it here). Then, underneath each letter of your name, write the corresponding number. According to the chart, I would write:
J E S S I C A L E E
1 5 1 1 9 3 1 3 5 5
- Now, add up all the numbers. For my name, I am going to add the numbers 1+5+1+1+9+3+1+3+5+5. That equals 34.
- Remember… numerology uses the numbers 1 – 9, and the “biggie” numbers 11 and 22 (major vibration or “master” numbers). Now, keep adding the numbers together until you get a SINGLE digit, unless the numbers equal 11 or 22.
- Since my name is not an 11 or 22, I’m going to keep add my 3 and 4 together to equal 7. Because 7 is a single digit (and not an 11 or 22), seven is my number!
Of course, there are entire books written about numerology, but this gives you a basic idea of how numerology works. (You can learn more about how to calculate your name in numerology in this article.)
Now, go ahead and calculate the number for your name. Then, take a look below to learn what it means.
How Numerology Works: Numbers and Meanings
Numerology Number 1
Personality: Super independent, craves freedom, and does not like asking for help. Also, the most masculine of all the numbers and a natural born leader. Able to think outside the box and doesn’t care about following the pack.
Challenges: Has to be careful not to fall into a pattern of doubting self. Does not do well when he/she “fails.”
Numerology Number 2
Personality: Classy, feminine, intuitive. Very much the opposite of number 1. Is awesome at working “behind the scenes,” and influencing people with charm and intelligence. They also don’t care about being in the spotlight.
Challenges: Let’s face it. Number 2’s can be super sensitive and kind of moody sometimes. They have to make sure to stay grounded so they don’t get carried away daydreaming.
Numerology Number 3
Personality: 3’s were the popular kids in school. Easy to charm others, confident, and enjoy being the center of attention. Very creative. Often healers, musicians, artistic.
Challenges: 3’s have to be careful not to take on too much. They can find it hard to focus on one thing at a time, and can tend to put off doing tasks they don’t enjoy.
Numerology Number 4
Personality: 4’s can be a bit like Felix Unger of The Odd Couple! Neat, organized, logical. A great worker and loyal friend that enjoys a routine. 4’s tends to be content in life, keep to themselves, and don’t seek drama or being in the spotlight. They are trustworthy friends that you can always count on!
Challenges: Can be stubborn and rigid, which can cause conflict in relationships. May get overwhelmed if feels he/she is not in control, for instance.
Numerology Number 5
Personality: Like to try new and different things. Lots of changes in their life. Can seem to others like they never “settle down.” 5’s try new things, change jobs, and move more than other people.
They like to be on-the-go, do what they like to do, and don’t worry so much about what others think they should be doing.
Challenges: Desire freedom so much that it can get in the way of life. For example, might splurge on concert tickets, and not think about how they will pay the rent.
Numerology Number 6
Personality: Kind, gentle, loving. Family oriented. Desire to live a peaceful life free of drama. Have a big heart and are willing to help others.
Challenges: It can be helpful for 6’s to know how numerology works so they don’t get carried away helping others and neglect themselves. Also watch that others don’t perceive your “help” as butting in. This can lead to hurt feelings and being a “martyr.”
Numerology Number 7
Personality: Have you heard the tagline, “Inquiring minds want to know?“… that sums up a 7. Curious, smart, introverted. Would rather be learning a new topic than gossiping or watching The Kardashians.
(When I learned how numerology works, I was amazed because this sounds like me, and 7 is my expression number. Yes, numerology really works!)
Challenges: Can be so caught up in their own mind that they can seem cold and as if they don’t care about others. 7’s are smart — and they know it, so they have to be careful not to come off as “snobbish.”
Numerology Number 8
Personality: Talented in the area of business and planning. Ambitious, self-motivated, and able to take charge, too! Rational thinkers. May be an entrepreneur.
Challenges: Their life can get off-balance, and they can be caught up worrying about money and attaining material possessions.
Numerology Number 9
Personality: Generous and tolerant of others, as well as respectful of all beliefs and religions. In other words, a true humanitarian.
Challenges: Can take on the problems of others. Has to be careful not to get burnt out taking care of others.
Master Number 11
When learning how numerology works, it’s important to remember that the numbers 11 and 22 don’t get reduced to single digits. That’s because they are considered “Master Numbers.”
Some believe that those with master number 11 are set for greatness.
Intuitive, classy, and charming make 11’s natural born leaders. In fact, some world leaders and athletes have this master number. (If you’re an intuitive soul, you’ll definitely want to follow this blog!)
Master Number 22
22’s have almost unlimited potential and combine the best of the number 11 and 4. Most importantly, 22’s are leaders, innovators, and have the ability to do great things.
I hope this article has been helpful in learning how numerology works.
How to Learn Numerology
- The Complete Book of Numerology. One of the best books about how numerology works. What’s even better? It’s published by the trusty Hay House. Definitely a must-read!
- The Numerology Guidebook: Uncover Your Destiny and the Blueprint of Your Life. This one should be in every budding numerologists collection because it’s a true 5-star favorite!
- The Power of Birthday, Stars and Numbers: The Complete Personology Reference Guide. Do you love astrology? This fab book weaves astrology and numerology together… and who can complain with those results? :)
- Amazing, accurate, and super detailed numerology reports. Get started with a FREE Life Path Number reading! (highly recommended!)
Free Numerology Resources
We have lots of articles on this site to help you start learning numerology for free.
To get started, download the numerology chart (if you haven’t already).
After that, check out the following articles to learn how to calculate the different areas of numerology with ease.
You’ll be a pro at how numerology works in no time. Yay!