How numerology works. Grab a pencil and some paper, and get ready to have some fun!
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means, if you take actions on our recommendations, we may earn a commission. But we only recommend resources we've personally used and feel good in our hearts. Thank you for your support.
How Numerology Works
So, what does this have to do with numerology? Actually, everything!
Here’s the cool thing:
When you know the vibration of an object or number (in the case of numerology), you can learn about the qualities associated with that object or person. That means:
In numerology, numbers, dates, and, names hold a certain “vibration” or “energy.” For example, by assigning a number to each letter of someone’s name, you can decode its vibration and learn a TON of information about a person, including their personality, character traits, and life purpose.
See, super cool!
How Was Numerology Created?
The major consensus is that Pythagoras founded, and is the “Father,” of numerology. He was the Greek metaphysician and mathematician that you may have heard about in geometry class. He combined his love of metaphysics with his love of math to create numerology. Brilliant, right?!
There are Four Major Areas in Numerology Readings
- Lifepath Number. Your lifepath number sort of represents the journey of you. It’s about who you are, what you hope to accomplish in this life, and could help you uncover the talents and gifts you posses. Your lifepath number is simple to calculate by using your date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY) and adding all the numbers together.
- Soul Urge Number. As the name suggests, the soul urge number is spiritual. It has to do with your ethics and values and who you really are at the soul level. To get your soul urge number you simply use the chart below to assign value to each VOWEL of your full birth name, add them up, and voila!
- Karmic Number. Your karmic number is about your hopes, desires, and fears. It’s easy peasy to figure out your karmic number. Just use the chart and assign the corresponding number to each CONSONANT of your name. (This is also known as your destiny number.)
- Expression Number. The expression number can show your awesome talents and all the amazing things you have the potential to do with your life. To get your expression number, simply give a value to each letter of the legal name you were born with and add them up.
Now that you know what a numerology number is, let’s do an example together and get YOUR number.
How do You Calculate Numerology Using Your Name?
Do I have to do math to learn how numerology works?
Well, just a little, but I promise it’s easy and WAY more fun than algebra or calculus!
Numerology uses a simple math formula. Emphasis on simple.(Which is why numerology is a GREAT place to start when first learning about metaphysics!)
Let’s go through an example of how numerology works using my name (we’ll use this to get my expression number, which can reveal life potential — and the possible challenges one might face along the way):
- First, grab a piece of paper and a pen and write down your full LEGAL name from your BIRTH CERTIFICATE. Not your married name. And not your nickname. In my case, I’d use my full first name, Jessica, not Jess or Jessy or Lovebug :)
- Now, take a look at the chart below (or download it here). Underneath each letter of your name, write the corresponding number. According to the chart, I would write:
J E S S I C A L E E
1 5 1 1 9 3 1 3 5 5
- Now, add up all the numbers. For my name, I am going to add the numbers 1+5+1+1+9+3+1+3+5+5. That equals 34.
- Remember, numerology uses the numbers 1 – 9, and the “biggie” numbers 11 and 22 (major vibration or “master” numbers). You always want to keep adding the numbers together until you get a SINGLE digit, unless the numbers equal 11 or 22.
- Since my name is not an 11 or 22, I’m going to keep adding until I get a single digit. I’m going to take my 34 and add the 3 + 4 to equal 7. Seven is my number!
Of course, there are entire books written about numerology, but this gives you a basic idea of how numerology works. (You can learn more about how to calculate your name in numerology in this article.)
Now, go ahead and calculate the number for your name. Then, take a look below to learn what it means.
How Numerology Works: Numbers and Meanings
Numerology Number 1
Personality: Super independent, craves freedom, and does not like asking for help. The most masculine of all the numbers and a natural born leader. Able to think outside the box and doesn’t care about following the pack.
Challenges: Has to be careful not to fall into a pattern of doubting self. Does not do well when he/she “fails.”
Numerology Number 2
Personality: Classy, feminine, highly intuitive. Very much the opposite of number 1. Is awesome at working “behind the scenes” influencing people with charm and intelligence. Doesn’t care about being in the spotlight.
Challenges: Let’s face it. Number 2’s can be super sensitive and kind of moody sometimes. They have to make sure to stay grounded so they don’t get carried away daydreaming.
Numerology Number 3
Personality: 3’s were the popular kids in school. Easy to charm others, confident, and enjoy being the center of attention. Highly creative. Often healers, musicians, artistic. Enjoys being creative.
Challenges: 3’s have to be careful not to take on too much. They can find it hard to focus on one thing at a time, and can tend to put off doing tasks they don’t enjoy.
Numerology Number 4
Personality: 4’s can be a bit like Felix Unger of The Odd Couple! Neat, organized, logical. A great worker and loyal friend that enjoys a routine. 4’s tends to be content in life, keep to themselves, and don’t seek drama or being in the spotlight. They are trustworthy friends that can always be counted on!
Challenges: Can be overly stubborn and rigid, which can cause conflict in relationships. May get overwhelmed easily if feels he/she is not in control.
Numerology Number 5
Personality: Like to try new and different things. Lots of changes in their life. Can seem to others like they never “settle down.” 5’s try new things, change jobs, and move more than other people. They like to be on-the-go, do what they like to do, and don’t worry so much about what others think they should be doing.
Challenges: Desire freedom so much that it can get in the way of life. For example, might spontaneously splurge on concert tickets, and not think about how they will pay the rent.
Numerology Number 6
Personality: Kind, gentle, loving. Family oriented. Desire to live a peaceful life free of drama. Have a big heart and are willing to help others.
Challenges: If you are a 6, it can be helpful to know how numerology works so you don’t get carried away with helping others and neglecting yourself. Also watch that others don’t perceive your “help” as butting in. This can lead to hurt feelings and being a “martyr.”
Numerology Number 7
Personality: Have you heard the tagline, “Inquiring minds want to know?“… that sums up a 7. Curious, super smart, introverted, and would much rather be learning or investigating a new topic than listening to gossip or watching The Kardashians. (When I learned how numerology works, I was amazed because this sounds like me, and 7 is my expression number, so it actually works!)
Challenges: Can be so caught up in their own mind that they can seem cold and as if they don’t care about others. 7’s are smart — and they know it, so they have to be careful not to come off as “snobbish.”
Numerology Number 8
Personality: Talented in the area of business and planning. Ambitious, self-motivated, and able to take charge. Rational thinkers. May be an entrepreneur.
Challenges: Can get off balance and caught up worrying about money and attaining material possessions.
Numerology Number 9
Personality: Generous, tolerant of others, respects all beliefs and religions, a humanitarian.
Challenges: Can take on the problems of others. Has to be careful not to get burnt out taking care of others.
Master Number 11
When learning how numerology works, it’s important to remember that the numbers 11 and 22 don’t get reduced and are considered “Master Numbers.”
Some believe that those with master number 11 are set for greatness. Highly intuitive, classy, and charming make 11’s natural born leaders. Some world leaders and athletes have this master number. (If you’re an intuitive soul, you’ll definitely want to follow this blog!)
Master Number 22
22’s have almost unlimited potential and combine the best of the number 11 and 4. 22’s are leaders, innovators, and have the ability to do great things.
I hope this article has been helpful in learning how numerology works.
How to Learn Numerology
- The Complete Book of Numerology is one of the best books on how numerology works and is published by the trusty Hay House. Definitely a must-read!
- The Numerology Guidebook: Uncover Your Destiny and the Blueprint of Your Life. This is another great one that should be in every budding numerologists collection. 5-stars!
- The Power of Birthday, Stars and Numbers: The Complete Personology Reference Guide. Weaves astrology and numerology together. Who can complain with those results? :)
- Amazing, accurate, and super detailed numerology reports. Get started with a FREE Life Path Number reading! (highly recommended!)
Free Numerology Resources
This site is a fabulous resource full of super helpful articles to help you start learning numerology, free!
I recommend that you download the numerology chart (if you haven’t already), then, start with the following articles to simply and quickly learn how to calculate the different areas of numerology. You’ll be a pro at how numerology works in no time. Yay!