Our expression number is one of THE core numbers of our lives. It reveals things about you that only your Mama would know, such as:
- Your individual personal history up to the moment of your birth. Yep, you read that right… In numerology, it is believed that even before you were born, your parents could sense your energy. Based on your energy, they intuitively picked your name to match it! In other words, your name is NOT random. Cool, right?
- The capabilities, skills, and challenges you will experience in this lifetime.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means, if you take actions on our recommendations, we may earn a commission. But we only recommend resources we've personally used and feel good in our hearts. Thank you for your support.
Expression number insight can make our lives SO much easier. We can:
- Use our ninja skills to succeed at a job we naturally excel at (and love).
- Understand our natural-born gifts and use them to spread goodness in the world (i.e. help others in the best way possible… your Mama always said you were a “nurturer“).
- Improve on the challenges that we have in this lifetime.
- Understand ourselves so well that we become less stressed. (So organization isn’t your thing. But you rock at comforting people! Forget organizing – go out and volunteer – it will make your soul sing!)
Let’s dive into this numerology goodness and discover something cool about you:
How to Calculate Your Expression Number
Your expression number is calculated using your full name – the one you were given at birth (i.e. the one that’s on your birth certificate).
Use the FULL name from your birth certificate:
- Don’t use your married name
- Use your middle name if it’s on your birth certificate (even if you don’t love the name)
- Don’t use an adopted name
- Do not use a nickname, even if it’s a cool one like Lady Gaga :)
Now, use the numerology chart and follow the steps below:
Write out your full legal name on a piece of paper. We’ll use Sally Anne Smith for our example.
S A L L Y A N N E S M I T H
Use the chart above, and write down the numerical value of each letter, like this:
S A L L Y A N N E S M I T H
You get the idea, right? Her middle and last name would be:
A=1, N=5, N=5, E=5
S=1, M=4, I=9, T=2, H=8
Add up all of the numbers.
1 + 1 + 3 + 3 + 7 + 1 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 1 + 4 + 9 + 2 + 8 = 55
If the number equals an 11 or 22, STOP. 11 and 22 are considered “Master Numbers”, so you don’t need to do anything else with them except read up about them below:
In Sally’s case, her expression number is NOT 11 or 22. It’s 55.
That means we need to keep adding numbers until we get to a single digit (or an 11 or 22), like this:
Take the 55 and add the numbers together: 5 + 5 = 10
Since 10 is not a single digit, we continue to add:
10: 1 + 0 = 1
Sally Ann Smith’s Expression number is 1.
What number did you come up with? :)
Let’s move onto the next step: understanding what all of this means!
Using Your Numerology Expression Number
It’s time to put your Expression number to work to discover cool things about yourself…
Your Expression number reveals the stuff your good at, your awesome ninja skills… and your challenges in this lifetime. Are you using all of the talents and skills you have? Unless you’re Beyonce… probably not :)
But now that you know your Expression number, why not use that info to help build the life you want?
- Skills you were born with, but aren’t using, can be put to good use. (You may as well, they come easy to you :)
- Challenges can be worked on to develop a fuller, happier life. (btw, here’s a post with the numerology challenges of each number.)
- Capabilities you may not realize you have can become a source of success. (Beyonce definitely understands hers!)
Can you see now how powerful your Expression number is? One little spelling change and it would tell a whole different story!
If your parents had named you Tracy with an “e” instead of without, it could have totally switched things up… You didn’t realize your parents were so intuitive, did you?
Next Step – Let’s Dig into YOUR Expression
Enough about Beyonce… Let’s get this insight working for you.
Option 1. For a limited time, you can download my FREE Beginner’s Guide to Numerology and Numerology Workbook which includes personality traits, strengths, emotional challenges, and best career paths for each numerology number. It’s over 70 pages of numerology goodness!
This is a TON of fun for those who want to learn about other parts of their numerology chart – and calculate all their friends numbers, too!
Option 2. If you prefer, you can cozy up with a cuppa and read up on just your number below:
Other Fun Numerology Stuff
- Numerology compatibility
- All About Your Life path, Expression, Soul Urge, and Karmic numbers
- Get your Life Path number calculated for free