Dreaming of dead people? I often get asked about dreams in which deceased loved ones are present.
If you have been dreaming of a loved one in heaven, there are ways to tell if it was an actual visit or if it was simply a dream.
Disclosure: Some links in this post may be affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may earn a commission. But we only recommend products and services we've used and love.
A visitation dream is when a departed loved one connects and/or communicates with us through a dream.
And don’t worry. Dreaming of dead people is not scary or creepy at all. True spirit visits are one way our loved ones in heaven connect with us from the afterlife.
But we can also have “regular” dreams in which our departed loved ones appear.
How Do I Know if It was a Dream or a Visit?
There are some easy ways to tell if you had a regular dream or a visit from Spirit. They are:
1. Your Loved One Seemed to “Glow”
Visit: Because those in Spirit are pure energy (no more body), when they visit us in dreams they may have a “glowing” quality. They may:
- Seem surrounded by a soft glow or halo of light
- Be surrounded by a bright light (usually white)
- Have a “translucent” quality
If Uncle Joe had a glow around him in your dream, he was most likely visiting.
Regular dream: Your loved one might seem “ordinary,” like any other person in any other dream. Still using the Uncle Joe example, he:
- Might be one of many people in the dream
- Wasn’t surrounded by light
- Did not have a translucent quality (seemed to have a regular, solid body)
- Was interacting with others in the dream
If Uncle Joe had these qualities, it was likely a dream. But why would you RANDOMLY be dreaming of dead people?
- Uncle Joe has been on your mind lately
- You saw something recently that reminded you of him
- Your subconscious mind is remembering or missing him
- You have repressed issues related to this person that is subconsciously on your mind
2. You Feel Like You’ve Had a Visit
Visit: How did you feel when you woke up? There is something about having a visit from a loved one in a dream where you just KNOW. You can FEEL it in your soul. It’s a completely moving experience.
You may also:
- Feel comforted and peaceful
- Have felt a tremendous feeling of love radiating from your loved one
- Been crying in your sleep (noticed your pillow was wet from tears)
- Noticed your loved one was happy and smiling
- Feel as though you were visiting with your loved one upon waking
- Have noticed the experience was vivid
The spirits who visit us in our dreams love us, and want to add joy and peace to our lives. So of course, a visitation from them will feel comforting and healing.
Regular dream: If you notice any of the following, it was a regular dream…
- If you were uncomfortable or afraid at any point, it was not a visit
- The experience wasn’t anything “special”
- You feel confused and wonder what the dream meant
Other Qualities of Spirit Visits vs. Ordinary Dreams
- You may telepathically hear your loved ones or feel them speak to you
- You feel as though they have connected with you
- A spirit visit feels much different than a typical dream
- You and your loved one were the only ones in the experience
- You feel like you are watching a movie (i.e., there is a sense of detachment, of being removed from the action and watching)
- There may be other people in the dream
Why does Spirit come to us in our dreams?
Dreaming of dead people is common for a couple of reasons:
First, our family and friends in the afterlife love us and want us to know they’re still part of our lives. Even though they have returned to pure energy, they still want to communicate with us.
If Spirit has visited you in a dream, they have may been trying to contact you in other ways… but maybe you notice or wondered if it was your imagination.
It’s OK, this is a logical, hustle and bustle world we live in, and we don’t always notice things. But when a spirit visits you in your dream, they KNOW they can get your attention. :)
When we are sleeping, our logical minds rest and sort of “get out of the way.” This makes it easier for our loved ones in spirit to connect with us.
What does my loved one want to tell me?
Lots of good stuff! They want to:
- Provide comfort and love when we are having a rough time
- Send us messages that will provide clarity and help us
- Be a part of our lives
Don’t let your conscious mind talk you out of believing. Accept the message, love and peace that your loved one shared with you. Then, start watching for other signs of them contacting you while you are awake as you go about your day. A favorite song on the radio… a whiff of perfume…
Next Read: 6 Signs from Heaven