What does destiny mean? Fate, kismet, serendipity, good (or bad) fortune, lot in life, luck? Those are just a handful of words and expressions we associate with destiny, a word that is simple and unassuming, yet rich with possibilities and meanings.
“Destiny” is defined as predetermined sets of events that are inevitable in peoples’ respective lives. That’s the textbook version.
We’ve all heard people say things like, “This is my destiny” or “I know that I’m destined for greatness.”
We have felt that way ourselves, but how do we know those things? What does destiny mean? What is its significance in our lives?
And are our futures already determined? So many questions!
What Does Destiny Mean?
Destiny means choices.
It’s everything we can conceive as being part of who we are, who we are meant to be, and what we are meant to do.
It doesn’t mean that we are puppets on a string with no-free will and no personal choices to make.
Destiny is a concept that helps us look to the future and gives us hope. And in many cases, it also helps us find and nurture ourselves better.
For lack of a better, non-clichéd analogy, destiny is a series of roads, paths, forks in the road, and roundabouts.
You are heading somewhere and each “stop” or “turn” is determined by you and the forces around you.
And destiny is subject to change and is relative to each and every person. It is not a figurative stone tablet that outlines exactly what you should do or what you will do. To better explain, I’ll lay it out like this:
What is destiny: The Cornerstone of Destiny
- Making Choices is Fun
Free will, the characteristic that essentially makes us human, dictates how we go about finding those better selves and realizing our destinies.
Sure, we may be destined to “reach great heights” or something like that, but it is our choices that determine how we reach them. Free will can; however, also lead you away from your destiny too. It’s all about the choices we make.
- One Destiny, Many Faces
What does destiny mean? Can I have more than one destiny? Yes and no. There is the overall destiny and your personal destiny, both of which are multifaceted.
For example, your personal destiny might be to create a multimillion dollar computer company. The impact of how your company changes the world of cellular phones, music players, and computers is the overall destiny.
- Predetermined or Not?
Again, another yes-and-no answer. Our fates are not absolutely predetermined.
Like the Pirate Code, destiny is more like guidelines tailor-made for each of us. We’ve each been given certain tools (e.g. talents, gifts, strengths) and opportunities to guide us on our quests to realize our destinies.
In addition to the question “What does destiny mean,” another question I often get as a psychic medium is “Can destiny be forced?”
The answer is yes, it most certainly can.
Just because a psychic tells someone that he or she will have many sons does not mean people need to go out and procreate like ninja rabbits.
Intuitive readers, like the psychics at AskNow, can only see your destination depending on your current path. In order to happen as they ought, our destinies take maturity, growth, and above all, time.
Destiny is like an advent calendar that has a surprise to unwrap every day of your lifetime.
As an example, let’s say that an intuitive reader tells you that a fiery relationship—one that could be passionate or highly destructive—is in the works for you.
This prediction may or may not come to pass, based on choices you make.
If you deviate from your current path, that forecast will SURELY change.
You may decide to focus on you right now, so you put relationships, fiery or not, on hold. Or you may decide to plunge headlong into romantic relationships; even so, you might not meet your fiery counterpart right away.
Trying to figure out what destiny is is a LOT to wrap your mind around, but don’t worry. Below are some tips that will help!
5 Tips for Coming to Terms with Destiny
- Accept the idea of fate. No matter what your faith or beliefs, you have a destiny. To do great things, to do small things, to make a bang, to make a ripple, and to live.
- Don’t get preoccupied with the idea of fate. Try not to focus so much on “what is my destiny” that you live too cautiously or too recklessly. Live the life you want to live.
- Live life to the fullest. Ah, so cliché, yet so true. Live your life to please yourself. Selfish is sometimes a means to an altruistic end, because you make others around you happy when you are happy in your life.
- Weather the bumps and stumbles along the way. Just because you have a destiny and have realized it does not mean that you are free from hardships and troubles. Take them in stride, learn from them, and grow. If you get stuck, a psychic reading can be helpful, just don’t get addicted.
- Don’t freak out because you don’t know your “path” right away. Maybe one percent of the population knows what it is meant to do in life. It is perfectly fine if you have no idea! Most people don’t. Figuring it out is all a part of the human experience, one that should not be missed! But if you are feeling stuck, there are amazing psychics, like my partners at AskNow, that are ready to help.
So, what does destiny mean? It means being human and experiencing life and all the things that go along with it.
It means experiencing a life in which we make choices and change paths.
We fall in and out of love, get bad haircuts, start new careers later in life, crash the family car and don’t tell our parents. We all have ups and downs in life, whether we know our destiny or not.
Finally, relax! Worrying about fulfilling your destiny will make the way cloudy and scary. Trust that you are being guided so that your destiny can be fully revealed.