Let’s talk psychic vampires. We all know at least one. Some of us can spot them a mile away while others of us tend to be a magnet for them. Today, we’re going to look at how to stop getting sucked dry by energy vampires (in a loving way), while still taking care of ourselves.
What Are Psychic Vampires?
Calling people vampires might seem harsh, but if you know even a little bit about traditional “vampires” like the ones on The Vampire Diaries, you can see the similarities. Take the two main characters of the show, Damon and Stefan Salvatore. They are infamous for draining the life out of humans by sucking their blood.
Psychic vampires are infamous for draining the life out of humans, too. Okay, that might be a tad dramatic. A more realistic explanation:
Psychic vampires will drain your energy. After you’ve been around one you might feel like you need a nap! You may dread when their phone number comes up on your caller ID or want to exit when they walk into the room.
Sure, they may be perky and seem like they are all sunshine and light – but they have a knack for causing drama to ensue.
Damon and Stefan thrive on blood, while psychic vampires seem to thrive on drama. And as long as you keep giving them your energy and attention, they’ll keep on taking it, leaving you feeling like a wrung out dishrag!
Psychic Vampires Traits:
- Psychic vampires are people who never developed a responsibility to take care of themselves, emotionally or energetically. Nothing is ever their fault.
- They “feed” off of other people’s emotions to get their own needs filled. They grew up without the necessary guidance or understanding of how to fulfill one’s own needs, so they are reduced to getting ALL of their needs met by those outside themselves.
- Psychic vamps may may use different forms of manipulation to grab onto some of your tasty life force, like desperation, pleading for help, charm, victimization and even anger. They like to stir up trouble because they get a high from the result—people giving them the attention they seek.
Are You a Psychic Vampire Magnet?
Those of us who do their utmost to live a life of compassion and love can end up being a psychic vampire magnet.
We try to see the best in people, and we truly want to help others. Unwittingly, we can end up in situations one after the other, where we begin helping someone out and then just keep giving and giving as their need expands. At this point, it would be awesome if we could assert ourselves and say NO MORE, but usually, we’re on our last leg at this point because we’ve extended ourselves so far for the other person.
What are we to do? We can’t just stop helping people! But what we might want to do is take a look at ourselves.
Do we need others to need us? It’s a common phenomenon. It feels so great to assist others that we keep at it until we’ve got nothing. If this happens often enough, we may end up being weary of helping anyone, which really would be a shame!
Or, if we get a high off of being another person’s “savior,” we need to spend some time with that. Only in finding out where it came from and how to meet that need ourselves can we stop becoming the object of psychic vampires. (They are pros at scouting out people who are vulnerable to their neediness!)
How to Stop Being a Psychic Vampire Magnet
1. Send them love and light—We receive back what we put out there, right? So let’s shoot out lots of love and light to all beings, knowing we’ll get that back. When our attention is focused on wholesome things, it’s easier to recognize unwholesome ones.
2. Set your intention—You know I’m all about intention because it’s the foundation of everything! Set your intention to be discriminating.
3. Set up boundaries—You may not have a choice of whether or not to interact with a psychic vampire (even our kids and other family members can be psychic vampires). I know I encountered many psychic vampires when I was in the workplace. OMG!
Once I set boundaries of how far I was willing to help someone, I got a lot better at recognizing who was legit and who was out to get whatever they could, energetically, from me.
4. Be understanding—While you don’t to be energetically drained, you don’t want to be nasty either. You’ve gotta watch your karma, right? You can have boundaries and still understand that these people are coming from a place of pain and need. They may have had a horrendous childhood or experiences that led them to become what they are now. So, protect yourself and your energy, and do it with gentleness and compassion in your heart.
5. Watch out for drama—Psychic vampires love to create drama. If they can’t get their fill of life force by getting positive attention from others, they are happy to create negative situations that stir up trouble and drama. Keep a look-out. Notice who never takes responsibility for their actions. Watch out for those who love to throw out drama bombs and then enjoy feeding the flames. These are no doubt psychic vampires, and you should do what you can to minimize your contact with them.
6. Surround yourself with light—If you can’t totally avoid them, arm yourself before you know you will be with an energy vampire. Spend a few minutes surrounding yourself with white light and asking your angels to protect you. Set your attention to be kind, but to have the wherewithal to stick to the boundaries you’ve set. Don’t forget to send them a dose of love and light while you are at it. This can stop them from considering you a source of energy they can prey on.
7. One final thought—watch for psychic vampires online too. Internet trolls and psychic vampires—makes you wonder how safe it is to go to your social media accounts, huh? Social media and online forums have become a feeding frenzy for psychic vampires. The best thing to do is just to avoid them.
Jumping into a conversation, in the hopes of helping them see the light about their beliefs or words is exactly what they want—your attention. It’s best to just unfriend them so that you aren’t exposed to their negativity or charms. No need to make a spectacle of it. Just quietly unfriend them, ignore their emails or stop participating in the forum. They don’t have to be physically near you to “bleed” you dry of your energy. In this case, a good offense is the best defense!