Marie became interested in psychic medium readings after her dad passed away. She really wanted to see a medium, but there was one problem…she was terrified!
Believe it or not, this is common. Some folks get nervous because they don’t know what to expect – it’s the fear of the unknown.
So, let’s get informed and wipe away that fear so you can focus on what’s really important – connecting with your loved one in spirit.
What to Expect When You See a Medium
No two mediums or psychic medium readings are alike. They are as unique as snowflakes!
Following is a general idea of what you can expect, but keep in mind that each medium has his or her own style of working and what you hear and how it’s presented depends on:
- The person in spirit (and what they have to say) and
- The personality and particular gifts of the medium (more on that in a minute)
Most mediums begin by telling their clients how they conduct their sessions. Then, they will connect with your loved ones in heaven.
The most important thing to remember is that the job of the medium is to provide a voice to those in spirit. I joke with my clients that, even though they are the ones paying the fee for the reading, my real client is the person in spirit.
Here are some of the types of things you may hear in a reading:
Characteristics – This can be things about your loved one such as:
- Hair color
- Body type
- Personality (in my opinion, this one is the most important)
Evidence – Evidence are things that prove the continuity of life after death. These can be things about your loved one such as:
- Their name, or the names of others in the family
- How your loved one passed away, or health challenges they faced
- A favorite hobby or pastime they had
- A favorite food
- The number of children or grandchildren they had
Message – Now the good stuff! The most important part of any mediumship reading is passing on messages from the person in spirit to their family and friends who are still living. Messages can be anything at all!
Tip: Psychic medium readings can be done in person or via video chat (affiliate)- there is no difference in the quality. You can be sitting in the same room as an intuitive person, or across the world – it doesn’t matter.
How soon after a loved one passes away should you get a reading?
Psychic medium readings can be done at any time. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable.
I’ve had some clients that have scheduled their reading just days after their loved one passed away and find it a very healing experience.
Others feel more comfortable working through their grief for a few months first. You should always follow your heart when deciding when to see a medium.
What is the Medium Experiencing During the Reading?
Most after death communications (i.e. mediumship) is what we refer to as mental mediumship.
In other words, when your loved one in heaven is communicating with the medium, it is taking place via mental telepathy.
So, what does this mean, and why should you care? Good questions. Let’s pretend you see a medium to connect with your Grandpa Joe who died:
- When the medium hears Grandpa Joe speaking to her, she is hearing him in her mind. While some mediums may hear the actual voice that Grandpa Joe had while he was here on the earth, most of the time, the medium hears spirit in her own voice… think of it as mental telepathy.
- When the medium says she sees Grandpa Joe, she is not seeing him sitting next to her, she is seeing him (and any images he shows her) in her mind’s eye.
- If Grandpa Joe passed of a heart attack, and the medium says she feels this, she may feel a twinge in her chest, or she may just have a strong sense (a knowing) that this is how he passed.
4 Facts About Psychic Medium Readings
1. Grandpa Joe is Still Grandpa Joe
Did you know that when we’re in spirit, our personality doesn’t change?
So, if your Grandpa Joe was funny while he was here on the earth plane, he’ll have that same sense of humor when he communicates with the medium.
If your loved one was very quiet or serious, that personality will also shine through.
If Grandpa Joe didn’t know how to manage his money, and you wouldn’t have asked him tax advice while he was living…guess what? He still won’t be able to answer your questions about taxes.
2. Your Loved One May Not Come Through
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that your loved one in heaven will come through during your session. Typically they will, but there is never a guarantee.
3. All Mediums are Different
Even though psychic mediums do the same kind of work, they each bring their own style and flare to their readings. Some are very serious, others are very down to earth, and others bring a lot of humor to their readings. It really depends on the personality of the medium.
Some readers give lots of details that may include first names and dates, and others can almost step into the personality of your loved ones in heaven.
4. Forget the “F” Word
The “F” word I’m talking about is fear. But you knew that’s what I was talking about, right?
About 90% of the people I’ve done psychic medium readings for report being nervous before I begin the session. That’s a huge number!
Reputable mediums and good psychic readers take their job very seriously. They will not say or do anything to frighten you, such as give you bad news – so relax and don’t be afraid!
Also, relaxing will help the energy flow better, which means a better session overall.