How to help a loved one cross over. Facing the fact that a loved one is dying can be painful, even when you understand that the soul never truly dies and that the Spirit Realm is a wonderful place—full of peace, love and joy.
One way to ease the grief you feel is to help your loved one on their journey back to Spirit. The help you offer demonstrates the deep love and compassion you have for them and offers you a way to bond in a most significant way with your loved one—one last time.
There are several things you can do to help a loved one cross over.
Though medical science may be able to help them deal with pain or other physical manifestations of death, you can provide help to them by easing their transition mentally and emotionally.
This can be one of the most rewarding and loving things you could ever do for them.
How to Help a Loved One Cross Over
Even though you are distressed by your loved one’s imminent passing, it’s important to keep in mind that we are all spiritual beings. Some believe that before incarnating into this life, our Spirit chooses our time to return Home. This awareness in itself can be a huge comfort.
Another notion to remember is that energy never dies. Our bodies will, but our souls continue to live on as energy. This knowledge, while sometimes difficult to face up to, is ultimately very liberating.
There need be no fear attached to death. In fact, not all cultures believe that death is scary. Knowing that our Spirits are in control of when we incarnate, when we die and what we experience while we are on the Earthly Plane all combine into a liberating acceptance of death.
Keeping these things foremost in your mind will assist your loved one. Why? Because you will bring an energy of acceptance and openness, rather than of fear and loss, into their presence. They will sense a peaceful energy and be calmed and comforted by it.
By creating a soothing environment, you can raise the vibrations of the space your loved one is in, which will decrease their fear and stress. Even though they chose the time of their passing, the Soul typically doesn’t remember the plans made.
Here are some beautiful ways to help a loved one cross over by raising the vibration of the space they are in:
- Play music—choose a selection of music your loved one finds peaceful and play it softly in the background. Perhaps singing bowls, Native American flutes or vocalists they enjoy. Make sure the music is positive and uplifting so that it raises the energetic vibrations. It’s equally important that they find the music enjoyable. If they find chanting irritating, obviously, that isn’t a good choice.
- Essential oils—find ways to incorporate essential oils into the space. For instance, you might use a diffuser or massage oil with essential oils. Oils with the highest vibrations include rose, sage, lavender, lemongrass, jasmine, patchouli, myrrh, cedarwood, juniper and frankincense.
- Touch—use the healing powers of touch to help your loved one relax. Hold their hand, wipe their brow, offer light massages. Touch conveys love and calms the central nervous system. It also helps you bond with your loved one and reassures them that you are there with them.
- Meditate—during times when your loved one is sleeping or out of the room, take the time to mediate. This will fill the room with lovely energy that they will be able to feel. It will also help keep you in a peaceful place and help ease your grief. Practice sending them peace and white light as well.
- Soft lighting—if your loved one is in a hospital or other institution, they are likely to be surrounded by bright, harsh light. Switch those off and replace them with soft lighting, like natural sunlight or candles. If you use candles, make sure that the scent is one that your loved one finds pleasant.
Another thing you can do to help a loved one cross over is reassure them. Reassuring words from someone we love is always helpful, and during this time, it’s even more appreciated. Assure your loved one that they aren’t alone now while their body dies, but also that they won’t be alone when they cross over.
Comfort them by describing how angles, spirit guides and deceased loved ones will be there to guide them Home. Remind them that where they are going is full of peace and joy.
Remind them that they will be able to visit and communicate with their living loved ones after crossing over. You may also assure them that while you two may be parting in this lifetime, you will connect again.
Use language your loved one can understand. For example, if you share a different faith or belief system than they do, use the terminology they would use so as not to cause more fear. You may want to use the word “heaven” instead of “Spirit Realm,” for instance.
Another loving way to help a loved one cross over is to give them permission. Sometimes, the Spirit wants to cross over, but feels obligated to stay here for the benefit of others – so the body clings to life.
We’ve all heard stories of a parent waiting to pass away until after a child’s wedding, for example. But you can provide a sense of peace to your loved one by giving them permission to cross over.
Let them know that you and their other loved ones will be fine, and that you want them to do what is best for them.
Helping a loved one cross over is one of the most difficult, yet loving gestures we can do. Here is a beautiful video about the afterlife. Sending you so much love and blessings.