Need Clarity? Talk to a Psychic Now
Dreaming of dead people? I often get asked about dreams, and more specifically, about dreams in which deceased loved ones are present.
If you have been dreaming of a loved one in heaven, there are ways to tell if you’ve had an actual visit or if it was simply a dream.
A “visitation dream” is when a departed loved one connects and/or communicates with us through a dream.
Dreaming of dead people is not scary or creepy at all. True Spirit visits are one way our loved ones in heaven continue to connect with us from the afterlife.
But we can also have “regular” dreams in which our departed loved ones appear.
How Do I Know if It was a Dream or a Visit?
There are some easy ways to tell if you had a regular dream or a visit from Spirit.
Your Loved One Seemed to “Glow”
Visit: Because those in Spirit are pure energy (no more dense physical body), when they visit us in our dreams they usually have a “glowing” quality. They may:
- Seem to be surrounded by a soft glow or halo of light
- Be surrounded by a bright light (usually white)
- Have a “translucent” quality
If Uncle Joe had a glow around him in your dream, he was most likely visiting.
Regular dream: Your loved one might seem “ordinary”, like any other person in any other dream. Still using the Uncle Joe example:
- He might be one of many people in the dream
- He was not surrounded by a soft glow of light
- He did not have a translucent quality (seemed to have a regular, solid body)
- He was interacting with others in the dream
If Uncle Joe had these qualities, it was likely just a dream. But why would you RANDOMLY be dreaming of dead people?
- Uncle Joe has been on your mind lately
- You saw something recently that reminded you of him
- Your subconscious mind is remembering or missing him
- You have repressed issues related to this person that are subconsciously on your mind
You Feel Like You’ve Had a Visit
Visit: How did you feel when you woke up? There is something about having a visit from a loved one in a dream where you just KNOW. You can FEEL it in your soul. It’s a completely moving experience.
- You felt comforted and peaceful
- Your felt a tremendous feeling of love radiating from your loved one
- You may have been crying in your sleep (noticed your pillow was wet from tears)
- Your loved one was happy and smiling
- Upon waking, you feel as though you were visiting with your loved one
- The experience was vivid
Those Spirits who visit us in our dreams love us, and they want to add joy and peace to our lives. So of course, a visitation from them will feel deliciously comforting and healing.
Regular dream: If you notice any of the following, it was probably “just a dream”:
- If you were uncomfortable or afraid at any point, it was not a visit
- The experience wasn’t anything “special”
- You feel confused and wonder what the dream meant
Other Qualities of Spirit Visits vs. Ordinary Dreams
- You may telepathically “hear” your loved ones or “feel” them speak to you
- You “feel” as though they have connected with you
- A Spirit visit feels much different than a typical dream
- You and your loved one were the only ones in the experience
- You may feel like you are watching a play or a movie – there is a sensation of detachment, of being removed from the action and watching
- There may be lots of other people in the dream
Why does Spirit come to us in our dreams?
Dreaming of dead people is common for a couple of reasons:
First and foremost, our family and friends in the afterlife still love us and want us to know they’re still part of our lives. Even though they have returned to pure energy, they still want to communicate with us.
If Spirit has visited you in a dream, they have probably been trying to contact you in other ways, but maybe you haven’t noticed or wondered if it was just your imagination.
It’s OK, this is a logical, hustle and bustle world we live in, and we don’t always notice things. But when Spirit visits you in your dream, they KNOW they can get your attention. :)
When we are sleeping, our logical minds rest and sort of “get out of the way”. This makes it easier for our loved ones in Spirit to connect with us.
What does my loved one want to tell me?
Lots of good stuff!
- They want to provide comfort and love when we are having a rough time.
- They want to send us messages that will provide clarity and help us.
- They want to be a part of our lives.
Don’t let your conscious mind talk you out of believing. Accept the message, love and peace that your loved one shared with you. Then, start watching for other subtle signs of them contacting you while you are awake, as you go about your day. A favorite song on the radio… a whiff of perfume…
Next Read: 6 Signs from Heaven